Infant Car Seats and Strollers: How to Choose?
Choosing infant car seats and strollers is just one of the many decisions to be made before you even meet your sweet baby! However, how are you supposed to decide on what he or she needs before you know anything about them!?
When it comes to infant car seats and strollers, there are a few key features that are important for both you and baby. Knowing these can help narrow down the research and make the decision process a little easier!
Infant seats and strollers can be purchased separately or as a bundle called a travel system. Purchasing as a travel system narrows down the choices and ensures your stroller and car seat will work together (key to staying on the go!). A travel system comes with the infant car seat, stroller and one base for your car.
Your Stroller Should Match Your Lifestyle!
— Active and outdoorsy? Choose a jogger or all-terrain stroller.
— A jet setter? Choose something compact and great for travel!
— Looking for something easy to get you around town? Look for a lightweight, quick-fold option.
Nice-to-Have Features in a Stroller:
- Tall? Short? Look for one with an adjustable handlebar!
- Roomy Basket – you will always be carrying lots of stuff!
- Reversible Seat – child can face you or face out
- Consider the size of the fold – will it easily fit in your trunk?
Do not be too concerned if the stroller doesn’t come with a tray for your child or a cup holder for you, those can always be purchased separately.
- When it comes to choosing an infant car seat, you will want to ensure it is compatible with your stroller if you are purchasing separately. This may entail purchasing a set of adapters.
- Infant seats accommodate your child from their first ride home to around 6 – 12 months, depending on how fast they grow. It is a short time period, but at this stage you are looking for convenience! Don’t worry, you’ll get more longevity out of your stroller!
- Infant seats are rear-facing only seats and will come with one base that lives in your car. Additional bases can be purchased separately.
Helpful Infant Car Seat Features
Infant seats are important when it comes to easily transporting baby as the seat is quickly removed from the car, pops into the stroller or a shopping cart and can be easily carried into a restaurant, etc. Here are some helpful features to look for in an infant car seat:
- No-rethread harness makes it easy to adjust the straps as baby grows!
- Machine-washable cover (trust us!)
- We recommend searching for ones with two layers of side impact protection for extra safety!
Safety and installation is most important!
If you are feeling uncertain about installing your seat, or want to have it checked, visit patechs.com to find a seat check near you.
Remember to choose a stroller that fits your lifestyle and ensure the infant seat can easily snap in. Find something that fits you and doesn’t cause frustration. You’ll be using these items daily, so spend extra time doing research — you’ll be glad you did.
Article by Erika Maddamma, from Sunny Spaces Organizing in Mars, PA. From converting a spare room into a nursery to knowing what baby products to register for, Sunny Spaces knows how overwhelming it is to prepare for a baby and are here to help!
Read more articles on parenting and pregnancy here!